Tuesday, February 4, 2020

4.3 Statistics in Action!

I have successfully taught Lean Six Sigma methodology in four separate classes, totaling 40 employees, at Nellis Air Force Base. I would like to compare two types of participant personalities in my classes: those who are eager to interact, learn, grasp new concepts, are highly motivated, and participate with a team attitude, and; those who tend to be negative, closed to new concepts or alternate ideas, are non-participatory, or for whatever reason, do not even try to apply course objectives to their situations.

Thinking back to the first class two weeks ago, it took the group about 2 hours and 45 minutes to participate and interact in the class setting, though there were side conversations on the topic within the first 60 minutes. In the second class, participants took around 45 minutes to participate and interact. The third class took about 1 hour 15 minutes, while the fourth class took only 25 minutes.

Of the ten attendees per class, I noted the amount of people who appeared grumpy. I discovered that they were grumpy for a variety of reasons, such as: they had to attend the class involuntarily; the class started too early in the morning, or; they did not feel they had anything to learn on the subject. I decided to document the number of grumpy appearing attendees in each class for cross-referencing to see if there were patterns and identify areas where I could significantly reduce the grumpy factor. 

I identified the number of people who were negative, including varying degrees of hostility, anger, resentment and a slew of other attitude problems. I was pretty sure that this negativity was not directed towards me in particular, but rather to their personal situations. At least, I was hopeful this was the reason.

As I considered participation involvement, the time it took for participants to engage in the first two weeks, and noticing the improvement with each class; I realized that there probably was a connection to my growing experience as a presenter/teacher.  I recognize that it is important to analyze the data so I can understand how and where I can enhance my presentations, communication and teaching skills, and even to improve my skill at engaging negative participants who do not believe in change or do not want to see change occur. I am wondering if there is a difference in the set of data that compares the mean and the variances of weeks versus participation levels.



Type
Week 1: Class 1
Week 1: Class 2
Week 2: Class 3
Week 2: Class 4
Minutes until inspiration
2 hours 45 minutes
45 minutes
1 hour 15 minutes
25 minutes
Amount of people who were grumpy
3
3
4
2
# of people who were negative
2
1
2
0
# of people who didn’t want change or believe in it
4
5
6
2


















Therefore, I decided to create a variance test to analyze two sample data sets and see if there is any correlation, or statistical significance.


After a diagnosis of the different data types and sets, I took the mean of the week 1 and week 2. I then compared the variances of the weeks to see what the results could garner.

Interestingly, results in week 2 tend to be decreasing in mean compared to week 1. This is good because the trend is that the people attending my class in week 2 are less grumpy, negative and increasing in positive interaction. If we look at the F Critical Value of being 9.27, this is less than the F Value of 4.6. This means that the null hypothesis is accepted, and the variances are equal!

Bottom-line, I will work hard to identify quickly the grumpy, non-believers, uninterested, frustrated group and try to persuade them to interact and share their thoughts. Hopefully I can turn the tide with optimism and positive change! 

References:

Institute for Digital Research & Education Statistical Consulting. (2020). FAQ: What are the Differences Between One-Tailed and Two-Tailed Test? Retrieved from https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/other/mult-pkg/faq/general/faq-what-are-the-differences-between-one-tailed-and-two-tailed-tests/

Frontline Solvers. (2020). F-Test Two – Sample for Variances. Retrieved from https://www.solver.com/f-test-two-sample-variances 

No comments:

Post a Comment